Thursday, January 31, 2013

A short rant brought on by a little too much thinking

As I was reading one of my friend's poems, I noticed how much I liked the story intertwined with the message. It made me realize that everything is a story with an overall message. The same goes for anything; photos, artwork, music. I realized that when I write, I know my message but not the story I need to tell to get to it. But with my photos, I can tell that story, because I can capture the story of nature, or a person, or a city. The same goes for music; a solo is an opportunity to tell a story, and is recognized as such. My favorite musician and director says it all the time to soloists, "Tell your story, man!" How could I have let that message slip by me all this time? Well, the past is the past. Now I truly understand why I take the pictures I do and how I play music the way I do. All that's left is for me to find a way of writing I can use to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment